Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Work out your frustated constipated ass


On another casual fine frustrating morning of march the year 2009. A hard working employee came to know about one more opportunity slaughtered in the name of regionalism, language, sex or religion in our secular, sovereign democratic republic of India. Just because you are a high performer does not imply that all good opportunities are meant for you. This happens once in a while is just an illusion and actually a cliche. The opportunities never come
Oh there is a new project absolutely matching your experience and skill set but then you are doing good in your present responsibilities. And the client is happy about your performance and might not accept your change to some other team.

The other client is introducing new systems and you can fit in there but its a long process of moving you from the present project to a different project. The present project manager won't let you shift.
Well we have heard it time and again and lets hear it once more - if the management wants to screw you there is nothing you can do.

One reason why people tend to do their masters after a certain amount of corporate experience was now well experienced and felt by me. I wished I was never bitten by the CAT bug but it was imminent and inescapable. One significant discovery about myself can be well attributed to this Corporate world, the capacity to work harder than I could have imagined as a college student and manage an entire team with out even being a designated senior.

I have loved working at my first and present job and would continue to, but the lack of appreciation has gone beyond my self respect and ego. The joy of problem solving and doing things beyond one's imagination has kept me hooked but its time that I let all the hard earned respect, knowledge and experience go and start my own business with no one to manage me.

1 comment:

  1. This work out cannot cure anyone's constipation. Perfectionist is no more the winner, Opportunist could be. Undoubtedly uniqueness is the new mantra. The restaurant which comes up with Aloo paraathe, dal makhanni, butter chicken on their menu but a narrow entrance under the big board carrying a caption 'Punjabi Dhaba' are just not going to make it. A restaurant under same budget who have filled their menu with Cheesy onion paraathe, Hawaiian fish and dazzling offers like tom dick n harry, a good ambience, casting themselves on Web will definitely turn them on. Learn yourself, suit yourself and make the difference.

    To pickup the best line of your article: 'The opportunities never come'. We need to find way to one. From the day this industry embraced me, it has been difficult to control my foot from buzzing off. Manager never lets you leave, colleagues never let you think, Management is dumb enough not to talk and not the least HR bombs you with their policies. Consequently the conclusion is so absolutely the same -- if the management wants to screw you there is nothing you can do.

    In last six months I have seen my world change, the only spice of my life was juiced away from me. The three musketeers, as we called ourselves were no more together, one laid off and the other to ISB. Instead of Arthos going nuts, was laughing, unhappy but no more scared of loosing his job. CAT has been something out of reach for me and I have accepted it by now, not that I can't work hard enough because I have started to believe there are few thing's in this world which can never change.

    I am not trying to scare you, neither will pretend you. I have seen hell lot of startups closing before they could breakeven. Neither for the idea, nor for the money they lost. Transforming a thought into business requires a great deal of sincerity and strength through hardship. Arm yourself, choose your men and hit the road. Wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete